Broken window theory...

[ Whats happening with socalE30.com ]

Moderator: SpecRaceM5

SpecRaceM5
E30 Addict

Broken window theory...

Unread postby SpecRaceM5 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:14 pm

So there is this theory that if a house in a neighborhood has a broken window that goes unfixed then it shows neglect for that area. Eventually people think no one cares and so another window gets broken. Then comes the graffiti. Following the graffiti comes more serious crimes. This is yet another really poor analogy for the point I'm about to get to which is.....

I haven't been on the forum much lately due to work, personal issues, etc. From browsing around the forum I kinda get the idea that this has been a shared absence with some of the other moderators. For those who have been frequenting the site and trying to keep things tidy, I thank you and apologize for neglecting my duties as a moderator. That being said, I am going to do my best to be more active and fix the broken windows so that this place doesn't turn into a free for all.

One thing that SoCALe30 has been very good at, is creating a community rather then just a forum in which you have to sift through layers of BS to find any value. That is what keeps it going and what makes it grow. I have talked with several people who love the fact that the members on here (for the most part) are mature, friendly and helpful and that the BS is kept to a minimal.

I don't want to go on to post a bunch of rules and regulations about what you can and can't do, etc. because while I do have German in my blood, I'm not a Nazi. However, if your thread or post by chance gets moved or deleted and you don't understand why, please PM me and I will explain so that we can all work together to continue to grow and benefit the community and one another. If I see patterns develop with individuals then I will PM you so that hopefully we can understand where each other is coming from and move forward productively.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and feel free to PM me with any questions. You all are a great bunch and I look forward to seeing you out on the roads!

Cheers,

Brian

PS. Jon rocks for taking this site to the next level!
1993 Ring Taxi
SDmtechnic858
E30 Addict

Re: Broken window theory...

Unread postby SDmtechnic858 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Well said Brian. come back to us :cry:
Respect is earned. Not given.
★ ====== ✈ ★
eL_MeXiCaNo
I'm a Regular

Unread postby eL_MeXiCaNo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:39 pm

:? wait, who are you again? *puts away spray paint can and whistles innocently*

Nah, Jk. No worries man, we understand that you can't be on here 24/7 monitoring everything. Besides there aren't many "broken windows" (if any) to fix on here. They're more like "misplaced objects." Well that's the term that I believe fits more but then again I am not a mod (yet :wink: ) so I might be missing a lot of things that happen behind the scene.

Either way, glad to know we have another active mod watching over ye-olde-e30 forum

P.S. the day I become mod is the day I am able to rebuild an m20 motor blindfolded with only a monkey wrench and a paper clip XD
Need anything computer related? Feel free to PM me.
SpecRaceM5
E30 Addict

Unread postby SpecRaceM5 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Misplaced objects is a lot more accurate. Since you brought it up, the two main things I see are misplaced threads and (for lack of better words) useless posts.

Please read the descriptions on the forum sections. If you are unsure where your thread fits best then post it where you see best and PM me so that I can do my part to figure out if something can be adjusted to make section selection easier. I have seen a few small changes that can be made to make things more clear for the members who don't know where to post certain threads, but I have also seen several threads that just flat out have nothing to do with the sections they are posted in. I will assume it was an honest mistake and move them to the appropriate section, but please take a second to look where you are posting before you start a thread.

In regards to useless posts, nothing bugs me more than post whores who try and jack up their post counts with one letter posts or random chatter. This isn't a chat room however if you need to get your fix, do it in off topic. Staying on subject in technical threads and keeping the clutter to a minimum will make the search function that much easier to use later on down the road. Do you really want to sift through 10 pages of nothing to find the info you are looking for? Remember, that is one of the things that makes SoCALe30 stand out from the other forums.

Sorry for the rant. I promise to leave it at that. :D

Cheers,

Brian
1993 Ring Taxi

Return to “Newsroom”